- If you were looking for C#, you might have been led to this page because of technical reasons, if this is the case, check C Sharp
The C programming language was developed in the early 1970s by Dennis Ritchie. It was originally used to implement the UNIX operating system. It has later been used to implement other operating systems and applications.
C is a low-level imperative language.
It is frequently identified as:
- having been popular before 2000
- being fiddly and error-prone
- being powerful and efficient
- being a step up from assember
- being the predecessor of C++, and - to a lesser extent - languages such as C# and Java
C was one of the first languages that allowed cross-platform code. Because of this, Unix could be compiled and still work on many different architectures. An updated version C++ was created that improved on C by including the Object Oriented Programming paradigm.
- Scientific Programming in C (eg. GSL,ATLAS,FFTW)
- C Tutorials
- Category:C Language constructs
- Category:C Keywords